Let me give you some information at the beginning, 80 percent of the demand for gas in our country is met from domestic mines. The remaining 20 percent is met by imports. Imported gas is called liquefied natural gas or LNG. This LNG is imported from two countries. One is Qatar and the other is Oman. The question is – how important is the amount of gas that is imported into the country.
As I said before, the importance of the gas imported from Qatar and Oman is very important. Because 5 percent of the country’s total gas supply is imported from the spot market or open market. The Department of Energy and Petrobangla have to struggle if there is a shortage of this amount of gas due to price rise. Even the country’s gas-fired power plants, including the capital, are on the verge of shutting down. Then you understand how important 20 percent gas!
Through state agreements, 20 percent of gas is imported from Qatar and Oman. Of this, 12 percent comes from Qatar and the remaining 8 percent comes from Oman. The country will export this gas to Bangladesh till 2026. The state-owned company Transformed Natural Gas Limited or RPGCL is responsible for supervising LNG in the country.
According to the company, there is an agreement with Oman Trading International or OQ Trading Limited to export 1 to 1.5 million tons of gas to Bangladesh every year. On May 8, 2016, the company signed an agreement with the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources of Bangladesh. Under the agreement, the country has so far supplied 63 LNG cargo. Of these, 20 cargoes were delivered in 2019, 28 in 2020, 24 in 2021 and 3 till March 2022. However, the country has plans to supply 18 supplies this yea
The daily demand of gas in the country is 3600 million cubic feet. But the supply is 3 thousand million cubic feet. Like. Of this, 600-700 million cubic feet of LNG imported from Qatar and Oman is being supplied. Thus, there is a shortage of 600 million cubic feet of gas more than the demand. It is easy to imagine the situation in the country if there is a shortage of supplies from Qatar or Oman. In this situation, it is easy to guess how important the amount of gas being supplied from Oman is.